Retinoids for treatment of acne
- Retinoids in the treatment of acne occupy one of the top places among the products of traditional medicine. Already, since the treatment of mild severity, state standards on the provision of care to patients with acne suggests that retinoids should be used in combination with other drugs. But I would like you to explain to my dear readers what kind of drugs, and why they should apply in this issue.
Retinoids from the word “retinol”, or vitamin A are so called because they are all made with the inclusion of a member of the vitamin, its biological forms and synthetically produced counterparts.
Vitamin A itself is known to be necessary for normal maintenance of healthy skin. It affects differentiation of epithelial cells. It has been noted that vitamin A is very good for various skin diseases, but its use in pure form was responsible for the various side effects such as liver damage, excessive flaking of the skin, severe headache, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, osteoporosis and others.
Soon it managed to enter into a broad therapeutic activity of the beneficial properties of vitamin A by small structural changes in the formula, and then bring it all in one drug. It was possible to achieve selective action on the required structure of the skin and reduce the side effects and toxicity.
These drugs are the retinoids, which are divided into three groups depending on their structural differences.
- Retinol acetate (Vitaimn A, retinol palmitate)
- Tretinoin (trans-retinoic acid): Retin-A
- Isotretinoin (13-cis-retinoic acid): Retinoic ointment roakkutan
- Alitretinoin (9-cis-retinoic acid)
- Generation II:
- III generation (selective retinoids)
- Adapalene (Differin) – in its chemical structure, it is somewhat different from all 3 generations, but has the property of vitamin A
- Now consider, how retinoids act on human skin.
Skin cells contain a nucleus receptors for retinoic acid, namely its betta and gamma species. This acid reacts with these receptors, which gives a signal to the cell nucleus synthesis of certain substances, which give us some effects, including side.
Thus retinoids alter epithelial cell growth processes, as well as their differentiation and functional activity. From all this it follows that these drugs inhibit the overgrowth of the sebaceous gland duct epithelium. As a result, in the channel does not accumulate a large amount of dead cells and improves their release to the skin surface without causing clogging.
Also retinoids reduce sebum production, possess anti-inflammatory activity and improve immunity in the outbreak of purulent process. Such drugs as Tretinoin and Renova Cream.
From all of the above for the treatment of acne using: tretinoin (Retin-A), isotretinoin (retinoic ointment Roaccutane) and Differin. Moreover, the use of the first two may both internally and externally in the form of ointments and creams. Ointments and creams normally used in lungs and medium-severe forms of acne, and tablets and capsules for severe.
Do not forget that retinoids, especially for domestic use offer a large number of side effects, over which it is worth considering before you start the treatment.